welcome to sisyphus's classroom

Sunday, June 8, 2008

In Houston!

I arrived in Houston on Thursday and have been enjoying my time so far. After landing in the George H. Bush International Airport, I joined up with about 6 other Houston Teach For America Corps members to board a SuperShuttle. The van dropped us off at the Crowne Plaza hotel where we registered for our three-day Induction.

Induction consisted of several workshops that helped us to familiarise ourselves with the organizational structure of the Houston Corps as well as a few outings to help us get to know one another. I continue to be inspired by the stories of past corps members including several Houston '07 teachers who shared their stories at our opening dinner. Everyone has been very kind.

Today we moved into Moody Towers at the University of Houston to begin the TFA Houston Institute. Since our region was already in Houston, we moved from the hotel to the university early this morning. Other groups will be arriving throughout the day.

Tomorrow will be my first day at Gallegos Elementary School where I will be teaching throughout the summer and next school year. I was hired to teach second grade, which I am very excited about. (I've heard from current corps members at Gallegos that my classroom isn't the best, but I'm sure that'll be a small challenge compared to those coming my way.)

I guess that's all for today. I hope I will be able to keep up this blogging better than I have thus far. I'm sure my students will provide a great deal of inspiration (and frustration) going forward. The trouble will be finding time to type it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home